The first thing to check is from the main Vlingo screen, click on Options. Make sure Voice Key Active is set to Anywhere.
If it was already set to Anywhere, then the problem is probably with the configuration of your convenience key (the key that invokes Vlingo). The trick is that that key needs to be set to "Nothing", not to "Vlingo". I know that sounds funny, but that's how it works. The steps to do that are:
1. From your BlackBerry's main menu, select Options. For OS 5 devices, select Screen/Keyboard. For OS 6 & 7 devices, select Device -> Convenience Key(s)
2. Scroll down until you get to the Right (or Left) Side Convenience Key Opens setting. Make sure that for the key you want running Vlingo, it is set to Nothing (again, not Vlingo).
3. Save your settings and exit.
4. Now find the Vlingo icon, and click it.
5. Choose "Vlingo Options".
6. Make sure that the Voice Key setting is set consistently with the key you set to Nothing in step 2.
7. Make sure the "Voice Key Active" setting is set to "Anywhere". This ensures that you can use the side key from anywhere, not just from a Vlingo screen.
This should resolve the problem you're seeing. If not, please let us know by responding to this email. Please be as specific as you can about how far you were able to get through this process, what error you are getting, and about anything else you may have tried.