We see two causes for this problem. One applies to phones that are currently controlled by a corporate BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES). The other applies to phones that are not part of a BES.
If your phone is configured on a corporate BES
If your phone is on a corporate BES and Vlingo displays an error saying that certain permissions are not set (typically a combination of Phone, Carrier Internet, and Company Network - though it might be something slightly different), it's likely that permissions for third-party applications on your phone have been restricted by your network administrator. This is often done unintentionally as an unexpected side effect of configuring the BES. We'll spare you the details here, but the solution is for you to ask your BES Administrator to make the necessary configuration changes to bring the phone back to its original default behavior. Please have them review the detailed explanation and instructions on our BES Administrators Instructions page.
If your phone is NOT configured on a corporate BES
Occasionally a non-BES phone may also encounter permissions problems. This happens infrequently, and appears to have several different causes and symptoms. It may happen after Vlingo has already been running successfully for a while. Try these steps in order:
- Reset your firewall:
- Click BlackBerry Options -> Security Options -> Firewall -> Menu -> Reset Settings. This action may take a few minutes to complete. Be patient and allow it to complete.
- The next time you run Vlingo, you may get a series of dialog boxes asking you whether you want to allow Vlingo various connections or permissions in order to run. Put a check mark in the Do not ask again boxes, and click Allow or Yes.
- At this point it's likely that when you press the side key to speak to Vlingo, nothing will happen. You simply need to restart Vlingo. Go to your Programs screen and click the Vlingo icon. You should only have to do this once, not every time you want to use the application.
- Vlingo should now work properly.
- If this procedure does not work, try deleting Vlingo from your phone and then reinstalling it (if you have Vlingo Plus, it should automatically reactivate. You will not have to enter an activation key).
- If it still does not solve the problem you're seeing, let us know and we'll look into it.